Dedicated Volunteers Needed
The Center always needs extra hands to help with our mission. Below are some specific positions we are looking to fill. If you'd rather hear about ongoing volunteer opportunities, or jobs as they come up that are related to specific issues, please Join our Action Network.
If you have any questions please contact us at email@example.com or the contact person for the volunteer position you're interested in.
Want to jump in right away? Here are some immediate volunteer openings:
Want to get your hands dirty? We need volunteers to help with the finishing touches to our La Mancha Wetland Project along the Rio Grande. Duties include planting trees, making and installing bat houses and groundwater monitoring wells, removing weeds such as salt cedar, and more. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
SWEC always has events going on throughout the year. We need help putting flyers related to these events up around local businesses in the El Paso/Las Cruces area. Contact Ashley at email@example.com for more information.
We need help with office related tasks, such as getting large mailings ready, help with database entry, etc. For more information on what type of help is needed please contact Ashley at 575-522-5552 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Volunteers could come most times Monday-Friday from 9:00am-6:00pm.
Help Table at Upcoming Events
Are you ready to do more to protect and restore the wildlife and wild places of the Southwest? SWEC will be tabling at various upcoming events and needs your help! Please contact Ashley at 575-522-5552 or email@example.com for more information.
SWEC is in need of a few volunteers willing to do research on multiple topics surrounding our work with wildlife. Please contact 575-522-5552 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Organizing SWEC's Back Room:
From time to time we find that the back room in our office building needs straightening up! Give us a call to set up a time!
On-Going Volunteer Needs
- Tabling at events: We frequently set up a SWEC table at places like the Farmers' Market and Earth Day Fair to let people know about our issues and our work, and what they can do to help. If you like talking to people, this is the job for you.
- Help in the Eco Store: We have some wonderful eco-centered items for sale in our Eco Shop on-site. Do you have a passion for retail or experience in merchandising? We would love you help to rejuvenate or store!
- Display Your Art in the Cottonwood Gallery: Are you an artist or photographer? We have a great place to display your work! Submitt samples digitally to email@example.com to be considered for a show.
- Are You Social Media Savvy? We are looking for a communications intern to help us reach the widest possible audience about our news, events, successes and challenges!
- Research: We'd like to get some information about proposed rare earth mineral mining on Otero Mesa.
- Photography:We need some pictures of The Mesilla Valley Bosque State Park.
- Video Editing:We need someone to edit some videos we have so we can display them on our website and Facebook page
- Website Help:If you have knowledge of Drupal, we could use help on specific issues on our website. For example, we need to link our Facebook page to our website.
- Flyering around town: One way that SWEC likes to spread the word about its events and happenings is through flyering at key locations around town. We have over 50 locations to visit and would love for someone to help us spread the word.
If you can help, please contact Ashley at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 575-522-5552.
We need volunteers with good people skills, a willingness to learn, and two hours a week free to help. Enthusiasm is a must. Previous organizing experience, occasional availability on weekends, and access to a vehicle would be ideal, but is not necessary. If you think that the work that the Southwest Environmental Center is of critical importance and you’re willing to help other people understand that, then this is the perfect opportunity for you.
Contact email@example.com for complete details or with any questions
Otero Mesa Volunteers
We are currently looking for volunteers to help us gain permanent protection for Otero Mesa. So much is happening with this issue that we must move quickly to educate the community about this vital area. Your participation will be indispensable in our efforts to motivate and activate our supporters and get the community as a whole involved in this cause.
This opportunity involves a variety of ways that you can help us reach out to the public:
1. Table at events-We need to talk to people about Otero Mesa, hand out literature, encourage them to write letters to and/or call policy makers, ask them to write letters to the editor, and stress the importance of their attendance and participation in Otero Mesa- related events.
2. Call our supporters-We need to call our known supporters and stress how vital it is that they make their voices be heard.
3. Attend meetings of Student Environmental Organizations-We need to talk to these organizations about how we can work together to further this cause.
4. Help with our canvass-We need help creating maps, calculating statistics, and entering data
For more information, contact Ashley at firstname.lastname@example.org
On-Going Positions available on SWEC committees
- Gala—Help make our annual fundraising gala next October the best one yet! This event is one of our biggest fundraisers throughout the year and we need your help to organize it.
- Membership—This committee brainstorms creative ways to increase SWEC’s membership, and develops an annual plan to do so. We’re looking for people who can help us translate general public support for our work into dues-paying members.
- Major gifts—Can you sit down and ask your friends without batting an eye for $250 or more for a cause that you are passionate about? Then you have a rare talent, and we want you for this committee!