Back by Noon Outings
Since 1995, thousands of people have enjoyed the Southwest Environmental Center's popular Back by Noon Saturday morning natural history outings.
Led by knowledgeable guides, these outings are designed to showcase some of the unique natural features of the Las Cruces/El Paso area. Informative, family-friendly, and not too strenuous, most of the trips will have you back to your car before noon.
All trips are open to the public, although half of the spaces are typically reserved for SWEC members (another great reason to join!). Be sure to bring sturdy shoes, water, sunscreen and a hat. Advanced reservations are required. Sign up early—space is limited on many trips. For more information and to sign up please contact email@example.com or call (575)522.5552.
Our previous Back by Noons from Fall of 2019 can be found at the bottom of this page.
Our Back by Noon outings proved so popular that we decided to publish them in a book. Day Hikes and Nature Walks in the Las Cruces-El Paso Area, written by Greg Magee, contains some of our most popular Back by Noon outings and many more--45 hikes in all.
Line up for Fall of 2019:
- Medicinal Plants of Dripping Springs, Dripping Springs Natural Area: 9/28/19
- Reviving the Rio Grande, Mesilla Valley Bosque State Park: 10/5/19
- The Border Wall, near Santa Teresa: 10/12/19
- Restore La Mancha, La Mancha Wetland: 10/19/19
- Demystifying Bats (Back by Midnight), NMSU Campus: 10/26/19
- Mass Extinctions and Climate Change, Prehistoric Trackways National Monument: 11/2/19
- Threats to our Desert Grassland, Otero Mesa: 11/9/19
- WWII Bombing Targets, Aerial Target #22, 11/16/19