Otero Mesa organizer position announced
The Southwest Environmental Center is seeking a part-time organizer to help mobilize public support to protect Otero Mesa from oil and gas development.
The ideal candidate will be energetic, outgoing, politically-inclined, creative, and passionate about protecting the natural world. The position is half-time (20 hrs / week for one year). Position is based in Las Cruces, NM.
The Otero Mesa organizer will:
- Work with stakeholder groups to identify the best strategy to protect Otero Mesa from oil and gas development.
- Creatively engage the public through a variety of means such as written communications, social media, field trips, and events.
- Strategically identify and engage potential allies, such as faith groups, immigrant rights advocates, youth, and outdoor recreation enthusiasts.
- Recruit and utilize a group of volunteer activists to build support for protecting Otero Mesa. Utilize database to track and mobilize supporters.
- Develop outreach materials, such as fact sheets, petitions, presentations, sample letters, websites, email alerts, videos, online content, etc.
- Monitor progress towards achieving organizing goals. Provide regular written and verbal reports to Field Organizer and Executive Director. Evaluate effectiveness of organizing efforts and develop ways to improve them.
- Assist with other SWEC activities as needed.
- Assist in efforts to increase SWEC’s membership.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Keep on top of current national, regional and local affairs.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Must be energetic, outgoing, politically-inclined, creative, and passionate about protecting the natural world.
- Must truly enjoy interacting with all sorts of people on their own terms and territory.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
- Previous grassroots organizing and campaign experience a plus.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume as a single pdf file to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Founded in 1992, the Southwest Environmental Center is a Las Cruces-based nonprofit biodiversity conservation organization. We work to protect and restore native wildlife and their habitats in the Southwest through advocacy, education, grassroots organizing and on-the-ground restoration projects.