Are you passionate about wildlife and social change?
We need you!
Founded in 1992, the Southwest Environmental Center is a Las Cruces-based nonprofit biodiversity conservation organization. We work to protect and restore native wildlife and their habitats in the Southwest through advocacy, education, grassroots organizing and on-the-ground restoration projects.
We are seeking a Field Organizer to mobilize grassroots public support for our conservation goals. At the moment the highest funded priority is to protect New Mexico's Otero Mesa from oil and gas development. You might also be assigned to work on our other campaigns which include: restore Mexican wolves, reform state wildlife management, stop the border wall, and end wildlife killing contests.
The ideal candidate will be someone who is energetic, outgoing, politically-inclined, creative, and passionate about protecting the natural world and democracy. The position is half-time to begin with, but may develop into full-time position. Organizing/campaign experience preferred but not required. Position is based in Las Cruces, NM.
- Creatively engage SWEC members and the public through a variety of means such as email alerts, social media, phone banks, presentations, field trips, letter-writing parties, tabling, newsletter articles, website, etc.
- Strategically identify and engage potential allies, such as faith communities, immigrant rights advocates and hunters.
- Recruit, train and keep engaged a corps of volunteer activists. Utilize volunteers as much as possible.
- Proactively track and creatively respond to current events, agency actions and other external occurrences to generate “earned” (i.e. unpaid) media and demonstrate public support for SWEC’s campaigns.
- Utilize database to track and mobilize supporters.
- Develop traditional and online outreach/organizing materials, such as fact sheets, petitions, powerpoint presentations, sample letters, websites, email alerts, videos, etc.
- Coordinate with other SWEC staff, especially canvass director and canvassers, to achieve SWEC’s grassroots organizing goals.
- Develop content and maintain advocacy portions of SWEC website, e.g. petitions, advocacy volunteer opportunities, calls to action, etc.
- Monitor progress towards achieving organizing goals. Provide regular written and verbal reports to Executive Director. Evaluate effectiveness of organizing efforts and develop ways to improve them.
- Assist in efforts to increase SWEC’s membership.
- Assist with other SWEC activities as needed.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Keep on top of current national, regional and local affairs.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Must be energetic, outgoing, politically-inclined, creative, and passionate about protecting the natural world.
Must truly enjoy interacting with all sorts of people on their own terms and territory.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
- Must have own car, and be able to work evenings, weekends and occasional overnight travel.
- Previous grassroots organizing and campaign experience a plus.
Compensation: $15-20K annual salary (0.5 FTE) depending on qualifications, plus benefits.
To Apply: Send letter of interest and resume as a single pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.